Thursday, November 8, 2012

Siouxsie & The Banshees

Siouxsie Sioux, and her band The Banshees were on reasonably high rotate on my turntable back in the early 80s. As I've mentioned earlier my tastes have tended to be more male singer/guitar/bass/drums orientated.  Siouxsie spoke to my softer side. At least I still had the guitar/bass/drums part of the equation.

I found some of their studio albums  a tad patchy like they were straining to fill them up. Fortunately they had an awesome live album with "A Kiss In The Dreamhouse" recorded at the Royal Albert Hall. Big, bold and orchestral. Fab.


Like a lot of my music from the dark old days of the 80s I haven't revisited it too often. The main reason for this is that some of it hasn't lasted well, dating a bit over the years. I winced slightly listening to "Hong Kong Garden" and was a tad puzzled at what I really saw in "Peek-A-Boo". It was a bit arty for me. My ears relaxed and I smiled once "Melt" came on followed by "Happy House". Maybe it was the drummer Budgie's rolling drums I liked all along... give these two tracks a listen at least.

You are the melting men
You are the situation
There is no time to breathe
And yet one single breath
Leads to an insatiable desire
Of suicide...in sex

So many blazing orchids

Burning in your throat
Making you choke
Making you sigh
Sigh in tiny deaths

So Melt!

My lover, melt!
She said melt!
My lover, melt! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

www.hypersmash.com